Social Media Principles Review


This year, I added a social media minor. Whether it was a mistake or not, I am still unsure.
Social media principles is a required course for the minor. During this course, I have worked a lot, learned a lot and cried a lot. Overall, the class was enjoyable, but I do have some suggestions.
Entering this course, I heard it required a lot of work, but I was up for the challenge. I admit I became very stressed hearing I would have to blog three times a week as well as learn and use The Associated Press writing style. In the end, I actually found this to be an enjoyable challenge.
Through this course, I was expecting to learn the many different social media platforms as well as how to best use them for business purposes. This was successfully taught, but it went a little further than expected. The content of the last book, “Measure What Matters,” went far above my head. Personally, I felt it went too far toward marketing and public relations than social media. As a graphic designer, I found the book’s content to be very confusing and hard to understand.
I did find the projects of the course enjoyable. The YouTube video project was my favorite. What surprised me about these projects was there was very little warning and guidance. I feel making a video can be a long and difficult process. In fact, my video took approximately six hours to complete. I think it would have been helpful to have been taught different video editing options and how to use them before the assignment.
Finally, I really enjoyed meeting Dr. Alisa Agozzino aka Dr. Aggie. I have heard a lot about her, so it was nice to see what everyone was talking about. I do enjoy her personality, and I will be looking forward to taking another one of her classes next fall.
Although I most likely grew gray hairs from this course, it was very educational. I learned many things I did not know before, and I stressed much more than I ever have before. I admit I am glad it is finally over, but I know I will use what I have learned in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for the Interview

Customization is Key

Memories from my 4-year-old self