My Awful Roommate = My Mom


As a college student, I have heard a lot of awful roommate stories. Fortunately, I have never had to room with a stranger because I live at home with my mom. I must admit living at home has a lot of benefits.  My bank account surely appreciates it. Now, it may sound as if I am living the dream, but you have not met my mother. I do understand my mom has been through a lot so she has a couple loose screws. I know I should not get angry at her, but I still get irritated by the things she does. I might not have an awful college roommate, but I think my mom can be just as bad.

You would assume most mothers are quite clean, but my mom breaks the stereotype. It surprises me how sloppy she can be. If my mom cooks, which is rare, she will either leave out the leftovers on the stove or she will shove the entire pot into the fridge. I guess she does not like to use Tupperware. That is probably because she can never keep the lids and bowls together after she washed them! 

This leads me to another point: dishes. In 2017, my mother and I got a dishwasher for the first time. I thought it would be great, and it would be great if my mom used it correctly. There have been many instances where I grab a supposedly clean dish and find it is not clean at all. Also, instead of scraping out remaining food into the trash, she will let it sit until it becomes caked onto the dish. I have gotten to the point where the only thing I use is a mug for my coffee in the morning.

One of the things my mother does that irritates me the most is when she moves my stuff. I would understand if I left odd items around the house, but my mom moves items that are technically out of the way and in the right area. For example, I have my toothbrush and toothpaste beside the bathroom sink, and my mom will move it! I hang my coat on the back of a chair, and my mom will move it! You get the idea. It is almost as if every morning I go on a scavenger hunt. I assume my mom thinks she is cleaning the house and making it look better, but she is not. Even so, my mom has more junk laying around the house than I do! Her room is a disaster zone compared to mine. I only wish she would focus on her stuff instead of worrying about mine.

The last point I will mention is my mom’s personality can become a little too much. Sometimes, this is not bad but other times, it can wear you out. The moment I walk-in the front door she starts to ramble about something. I like to talk to her so I try to tell her some of my stories, but she will interrupt me to talk about something completely off the topic. She does not know how to filter what she says or when she says it either. She will bring up disgusting details about her bowel movements as soon as you try to eat. My boyfriend and I agree it can become disturbing. 

I guess this is where I will end my complaints. Do not get me wrong, I absolutely love my mom. I know she does a lot and has been through a lot. I am grateful I get to live at home with her but living with her for almost 20 years has made me realize all of her irritating habits I will never seem to get over. I find it humorous that although I do not live on campus I can still have an experience with an awful roommate. The only difference is I am saving a lot more money, and my roommate is my mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for the Interview

Customization is Key

Memories from my 4-year-old self