Social media skin tone inclusion


In 2015, the inclusive emoji was introduced. This is where people can select the skin stone of the emoji they choose.  Once the emoji was revealed, people worried what outcomes would result. It was an understandable concern it would be used inappropriately. There was also a possibility it could case racial tensions.  According to this article, the University of Edinburgh has found the result to be quite opposite.

Researchers from the University of Edinburgh looked at a billion tweets to collect their data. What they have found through their research is rather interesting. Despite what some people may think, most people who personalized the skin tone did so to match their own. Also, if a skin tone chosen did not match the user, responses were mostly positive. Personally, I think this is good to see the option is not being abused. It is also good to see it is not causing racial drama on social media.

Overall, the study found the inclusive emoji fulfilled its purpose; to help people feel included. University of Edinburg research even suggest to add more modifications. Personally, I have not used this particular emoji before, but I am glad they have made these adjustments. As a light skinned person, I have never thought about how dark skinned people felt about the emoji. Normally, many things default to light skin, and I can see how this can make dark skin people feel. Therefore, I am glad this had been done to help people of all skin tones feel included. People in this world are diverse, and I believe it is important to embrace this in every aspect.

Comments

  1. I love emojis! I remember when they first came out I too was worried that some people may use them in a less than polite way, but then I stopped thinking about it. I'm glad to hear that studies have found there not to be a problem with them. I love to see global corporations like Apple creating ways to increase inclusion of its users.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is extremely important that more diverse colors were added to the emojis. There is already not enough diverse representation in most aspects of the media, and everyone who uses emojis should feel like there's an option that vaguely looks like them. When it comes to issues of equal representation of race in the media, even little things like this make a huge impact.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for the Interview

Customization is Key

Memories from my 4-year-old self