The Importance of Change

Entering college, I knew my life would experience little change. As other students traveled to campus from hours away, I hopped in my car and drove a whole two minutes. As students said goodbye to their parents, met their roommates and decorated their dorms, I had the same house with the same room I had in high school. There was no need to say goodbye to my mother because I would see her every day. Commuting to college definitely has its benefits, but looking back, I wish I would have done things differently. No, I am not saying I wish I would have lived on campus. I only wish I understood the importance of change.

As a freshman at Ohio Northern University, I wish I knew to go outside of my comfort zone and most of all, be myself. As a junior, I look back on the past two years and realize there is so much more I could have experienced. So many organizations I could have joined, and so many more friends I could have made. As a commuter, going home was more tempting than going to an on-campus event. Instead of trying new things and meeting new people, I went to where I felt comfortable. In reality, change is what helps people grow, not comfort. That is what makes college such an important segment in our timelines. Our everyday is changed and we are given the chance to make our life our own and become who we really are. We learn to be ourselves.

Although I wish I could have done things differently, I am happy with where I am. I can always question what could have been if I knew these things before, but there is little time to do so. They say time passes the older you get, and I see this to be true with every passing day. Therefore, I plan to be grateful for the past and cherish the present. 

Comments

  1. Change is always something hard. Reaching outside of comfort zones was not meant to be easy, it's just a matter of doing it! College is their to sort of force you outside those comfort zones, keep pushing yourself! I'm glad i had the opportunity to get to know you! (:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for the Interview

Customization is Key

Memories from my 4-year-old self