Could Social Media Help Children?


Would you ever think social media could benefit children? I certainly did not, but a study discussed in this article explains it can. Although I still believe social media can be ultimately negative for children, the article brings up some interesting points about how it can be positive in certain situations.

The study focused on how social media can be beneficial to children who live in residential care homes. It found social media can help them make relationships and reduce the feeling of isolation. I can see how these benefits can be true, but I am still skeptical.

I think it is a great idea for children in residential care homes to use social media to connect with their birth families. This relationship is an important one. Knowing you can connect with your family and they can connect to you can mean a lot to a child. I have experience with this because my main form of contact with my father is through social media. Although these relationships are healthy, I feel there are risks for unhealthy ones to form as well. These children can be vulnerable and can reach for help or attention in the wrong areas. There are a lot of dangerous people on the internet who would find these children to be the perfect victims. Therefore, social media is a great way for children in care to make relationships, but we need to make sure they have the knowledge to keep them from making the wrong ones.

I do agree social media can help these children feel less isolated but only in some instances. Creating healthy relationships with friends or birth parents could do the trick. Also, these children can find others who can relate to them through social media. In some cases, I fear it may make them feel more isolated. While on social media, these children may see things that lower their self-esteem. They may see other children who live in different conditions than they do or since they never meet these people in person, they may feel disconnected or alone.

It is seen social media can help kids in residential care homes, but I would not recommend it. I think it is a great idea for these children to connect with their birth families or make friends, but if they are going to do so through social media, it should be monitored. I believe there are too many risks that come with children being on social media, and these risks can only increase if they are vulnerable. I was once a vulnerable child on social media, and I have seen and done a lot of stupid things. I realize I could have done a lot worse, but I would never want a child to take those chances. If they know how to be safe or if someone is monitoring them, go ahead and use social media. If not, I recommend keeping these children away.

Comments

  1. I agree with you. I don't think social media in general is good for kids. Quite frankly it's not good for some adults either; it's unhealthy for all of us at times. But in this specific situation I do see how it could help them feel connected. Maybe if Facebook could add a "kids setting" of some kind where it put up certain protections for the kids. I'm not sure how that would work but maybe something like that could help?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for the Interview

Customization is Key

Memories from my 4-year-old self