Big Brother, Big Pain, Huge Success


My brother and I have never seen eye to eye. In all honesty, he has always been a big pain. I would have never imagined writing about my big brother but after learning more about him and what he does, I have come to find pride in calling him family.

First, I will not disclose my brother’s name nor where he works due to his position. What I will disclose is what his position is and what he does with this position.

So, what does my brother do? My brother is a drug enforcement detective for a county police station.

I have always seen characters in TV shows who are detectives, but I have never heard of their existence in real life. As his title implies, he is a detective who specializes in drug enforcement. This means he works to catch and penalize people who buy and/or sell drugs illegally.  

How he does this is quite interesting. First, the department gets a lead. A lead is information about who and where someone may be buying or selling. Detectives will then go undercover to investigate. If the buying or selling occurs, the detectives will arrest the individuals. If buying or selling does not occur, action may still take place if the detectives receive enough evidence for suspicion. They can take the evidence to the station and receive a warrant to search or raid the suspects household and/or vehicle.

Occasionally, detectives will make deals with the guilty people. The lawbreaker will agree to provide information about other buyers and sellers to reduce or alleviate their punishment.

Although my brother’s focus is drugs, he has also worked with other cases such as prostitution. For example, he may go undercover and attempt to find a prostitute. If the prostitute tries to sell herself to him, he will arrest her.

To protect the identity of a detective when they go undercover, a lot goes into consideration. They try their best to blend into the situation. For my brother, he choses to grow out his beard to look rough. The police department also provides him with money for clothing and a used car.
There is always the chance of a gun being drawn on my brother or a dangerous criminal discovering his identity but although the job is dangerous, he loves it. In fact, he is perfect for it. My brother is a rather large man. Therefore, he is very powerful and intimidating. He is also very good at evoking and interrogating people. Personally, I have found it best he evokes and interrogates people outside of his family!

Yes, my brother is a pain, but his career is quite fascinating. Not many people can say they know a drug enforcement detective. Luckily for me, I am related to one. Therefore, I get to hear all the fascinating stories and details that come with the job.

Comments

  1. Although it sounds like you haven'y always been close to your brother, it is really neat that you got to see a different side of his life. It is definitely a unique career and is interesting to read about something so different. Hopefully, this is something you two may be able to bond over. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for the Interview

Customization is Key

Memories from my 4-year-old self