What do you want to be when you grow up?


When I was in elementary school, as many elementary kids are asked, I was asked what I wanted to be when I grow up. For a long time, I responded that I wanted to be a zookeeper. Looking back on that answer now, I think, “wow that was an odd answer”. I may think that answer is odd, but it turns out that today, quite a few children respond that they want a career in social media or gaming.

Alison Kershaw explains in her article that a study shows these careers have been growing in popularity for younger people. Although these careers do not beat out the answers of teacher or veterinarian, they are still ranked higher than I would ever expect. It took me awhile to find out that these careers even existed as careers, not just hobbies. Therefore, it amazes me the younger generation knows this as a career and wishes to pursue it. I can only assume these children know more about these careers because, as Kershaw explains, they are more exposed to them. I can already see this being true with my 2-year-old niece. Whenever my mother is around, she consistently asks for her phone so that she can watch YouTube. I am sure that when she is on YouTube, she has no clue of what she is clicking on and therefore may end up on a video blogger's channel. Boom. She is exposed. It is true that the younger generation has been increasingly exposed to media such as this. With the growing use of tablets and cell phones, parents have learned that they act as easy distraction devises for their children. 

Saying this makes me feel old. I am only 19! I too have grown up with internet, social media, etc. but I do not feel that it has ever been to this extent. On the other hand, maybe it has, and I was just never that interested. I do not know. What I do know is that I feel that there seems to be a higher sense of competitiveness within these kids. They feel a higher need to be popular or famous. Maybe they see these people with careers in social media and gaming and they feel they want to be like that, so they too can be liked and famous. Also, I do have to admit that getting paid for posting videos seems like a fun and interesting career. I just wonder whether these children are interesting in these careers because it is something they genuinely would love to do or if they only desire the social acceptance.


As Kershaw quotes Dr. Elnaz Kashefpakdel, “Our findings clearly show that children start to rule out career options from an early age and their choices are often influenced by what they see in the media.” I know and accept that media has an influence on children, but it astonishes me that it now can influence their decisions on careers. Yes, careers in social media and gaming are real and possible, but should children already disregard other careers because of them? I do not believe they should. Yes, they are only children, but that is the thing, they are children. Yes, they have time to change their mind, but what if they do not? What if a growing population of children, young adults, etc. decide to dedicate their lives to these careers? How would they have time or motivation to learn anything else? Would other careers dwindle away? Yes, now they are just kids, but what will they come to do or be when they become adults?

Comments

  1. I remember when I was little I used to tell people I wanted to be a pharmacist. That's part of the reason I looked at ONU in the first place actually! Then I realized I hated every science class I've ever taken and that quickly changed. I find it odd that kids are able to know they want a career in social media so young...I didn't know I wanted to do marketing and public relations until my senior year of high school. I'm also only 19 so I feel you on that whole feeling old thing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for the Interview

Customization is Key

Memories from my 4-year-old self