Irrational Fears


Everyone is afraid of something. The question is whether the fears we have are rational or irrational.  If you look at the many different definitions of phobia, you’ll find what differentiates a fear and a phobia is the rationality, intensity, and symptoms of the fear. Phobias are intense fears that are manly irrational or exaggerated and result in symptoms related to anxiety. Although phobias are considerably worse than fears, they are just as common.

So, why did I decide to talk about phobias? Just as many other people in this world, I have a phobia. Therefore, I was interested in learning more about them. HelpGuide.org provided a great article for me to do so, and you can find it here. 
Luckily, when you have an irrational fear, you are aware it is irrational. My irrational fear or phobia is of walking or driving up or down steep hills. This is because I fear losing my stability and falling down the hill uncontrollably. I have even had nightmares about this! My phobia manly affects me when I confront my fear although thinking about it makes me nauseous too. It has been a long time since I have walked up a hill steep enough to trigger my phobia, but I have driven up and down many hills in Columbus, Ohio which do so. As I see the hill approach, my heart instantly begins to race, and my breathing picks up. I have learned to grab my seatbelt for a slightly better feeling of security and close my eyes or look out the window to distract myself. 
When I tell people of this phobia, they normally say, “so, you are not a fan of roller coasters.” Oddly enough, this is not true. I absolutely love roller coasters! I believe having the industrial restraints make me feel safe and secure. Plus, when a roller coaster takes a steep fall, I know it is on purpose and controlled. 
How did I, or does anyone, get a phobia? HelpGuide.org says a phobia can be developed by almost anything. They normally develop in childhood, but they can also develop in later life. When I try to think of how my phobia could have developed, I can only think of one possible explanation. I was born in Kentucky which I remember to be a rather hilly state. Our house sat at the bottom of a steep hill. My friend and I used to ride our bikes down the driveway. I believe it was after one instance when I lost control, fell down the hill and crashed my bike my phobia developed. 
Luckily, I do not confront my phobia enough for it to be a big issue for me. Others in this world may have far different experiences. For those who severely struggle with their fears, there is help and treatment. I find it important to realize although one’s phobia may sound ridiculous, it is a sincere fear. Also, those with phobias are not crazy. They are common. 
Do you have a phobia? If so, what is it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for the Interview

Customization is Key

Memories from my 4-year-old self